Thursday, January 8, 2015

One Little Word for 2015


I have seen several people sharing their one little word for 2015 instead of making resolutions. I love this idea! I think this is a great way to keep me motivated and encouraged throughout the year.

This year my word is:
BRAVE 


I want to work on being brave this year. I sometimes feel like I have allowed my self to get walked all over mainly because I am a people pleaser. I want everyone to be happy all the time. I would still love everyone to be happy all the time, but I am realizing it's not always my responsibility if they aren't.

I want to be brave enough to try new things (different activities, new foods, new adventures, etc.) On my birthday I actually tried shrimp for the first time ever! This was huge because for the longest time I swore off eating anything that lives in the sea.

I want to be brave enough to say no. I am realizing I can't do everything all the time and I definitely can't do everything all the time well. I need to learn to say no to other things so I can focus on what is important to me. I recently said no to something that was causing me to spend less time focusing on my students. While I had doubts at first as well as second guesses, I am glad I said no. It was the right thing for me, my family and my students.

I want to be brave enough to accept who I am. Over the years I have struggled with insecurity more than I care to admit. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful husband and amazing family and friends that already accept who I am. This year I want to work on being brave enough to stand up to those annoying insecure voices in my brain.

Thanks for reading! :)

Do you have one little word for 2015? If so, what is it and why did you pick that word?

1 comment:

Created for Learning said...

Our word as a family is ADVENTURE. We have lots happening and a possible move to North Carolina. New things and things that will make us uncomfortable. I'm expectant when things are uncomfortable because that's when I tend to grow the most as a person.

I'm not a fan of the negative voices in my head either. The song Perfect by Pink (the radio version) can be my theme song when I'm getting overwhelmed, especially the lines, "You're so mean
When you talk
About yourself,
you were wrong
Change the voices in your head
Make them like you instead"

Cheers to your BRAVE year!
Lisa from Created for Learning