Saturday, December 20, 2014

Making a Difference: My Mom

Hello! It's been a while. I hope you all survived the week before winter break! It seemed to be the one of the longest weeks ever to me. I am looking forward to relaxing and spending time with family over the break. Speaking of family I would like to introduce you to mine, especially my mom!


This is my family. There are a lot of us, which means there is never a dull moment. We never would have survived all of the fun sibling disagreements without my mom. I am so grateful to have these people in my life and very lucky that we still all live close together! 

As I was growing up, my mom taught me a lot. She taught me how to be strong and brave. She showed me that I could use tools on my own. She showed me how to give as well as how to be compassionate and caring. My mom taught me to think about others instead of just my self. Most importantly she showed me how to love unconditionally. She was and still is a wonderful role model to me. As I've grown older she is also becoming one of my closest friends. 

Every year I ask my mom what she would like for Christmas and every year all she wants is for our whole family to be together to celebrate. This month my mom has been participating in Dressember

" Dressember is a collaborative movement leveraging fashion and creativity to restore dignity to all women.  Dressember uses fashion to advocate for women who've been exploited for their femininity. As women take on the creative challenge of wearing a dress for the 31 days of December, they are advocating for the inherent dignity of all women.  Dressember exists to inspire and empower a global community of like-minded women who are locking arms to face one of the greatest injustices of our time. The heart of Dressember is freedom-- that every woman has the right to live a vibrant and autonomous life." (from the Dressember about page)

If you know my mom, you know that she wears dresses every once in a while but they aren't her go to wardrobe choice. She has been working really hard this month to wear a dress everyday and I'm very proud of her! She has been sharing her dresses on Facebook and Instagram. 

Here is my mom with a group from her church packing boxes of meals for families this holiday season! 
Her goal is to raise $500 to support the Dressember campaign and help bring awareness to people everywhere. She already has $65 towards her goal which is awesome! I know my mom wants our family to be together for Christmas but she would love to reach her fundraising goal as well.  My mom has worked so hard her whole life to make a positive difference in the lives of others and has helped so many people. Now it's our turn to help her, please consider supporting her! You can donate to her campaign here: Beverly's Fundraising Page


Mom, I am so proud of you and thankful for everything you've done in my life. I love you and hope this Christmas is one of the best ever! 

No comments: