Monday, March 3, 2014

Portable Word Wall

I am one of the lucky few teachers who gets to teach in a tiny mobile classroom, because of this we are very limited on space for anchor charts, educational posters, and a word wall (which is a great tool for students learning to spell). Last summer, I did some Pinterest research to see if there was a new creative way to hang up a word wall. I came across an example of a portable word wall and tweaked it to make it my own.

One of the many great things about my classroom is that I can easily put thumbtacks into the wall, it's like every wall is a bulletin board! I used thumbtacks to help hold up our portable word wall!


This is our whole word wall. We have math vocabulary on the top and then word wall words (sight words, commonly misspelled words, etc.) on the bottom. This part is portable. Students can take a letter to their seat to look for a word they need help spelling.



This was a time consuming project but was definitely worth it! I took sight word cards from The Dollar Tree, laminated them, punched a hole in the card and put them on a binder ring. I created the letter cards by using half a sheet of card stock and punch out letters from the teacher store.























I love that they are on binder rings because we can continue to add to each letter without taking up more space on the wall! If you try this out I would love to see your take on it!

How do you use the word wall in your classroom?

No comments: