Sunday, February 9, 2014

2013 Books

Hello Friends! I am going to try to keep up with this blog again. It has been a great place for me over the past several years and I have missed it so. My goal is to write on a variety of topics including teaching, life, books, and crafts. Here's to hoping I will be consistent! :)

Let's start off with books!





These are all of the books I read in 2013.

My favorite book was The Light Between the Oceans. This book was fantastic. Although I had tears in my eyes throughout the whole book, it was amazing. I loved getting to know the characters, Tom and Isabel. The story takes place in 1920 and Tom is a light house keeper on an island off the coast of Australia. The light house keeper is the only one who lives on the island and it is a long journey to the main land. I could relate to some of the thoughts, fears and emotional struggles Isabel was going through living on the isolated island. I also enjoyed this book because it challenged me. I had to really pay attention to the dialect and use context clues to figure out what a handful of words meant. I really enjoyed having to think about what I was reading. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

I also enjoyed reading The Fault in Our Stars.  This was a wonderful YA book. I wish I had read books like this when I was in high school. It was interesting to see the world from Hazel and Augustus' point of view. It really helped me put the struggles in my life in perspective. Their relationship fascinated me. I would highly recommend this book as well.

The only book I did not enjoy was Her Fearful Symmetry. I had high hopes for this book because I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. However, Her Fearful Symmetry was a little too strange for my taste.  Her Fearful Symmetry  is about twins that in order to inherit anything from their deceased aunt, Elspeth they have to live in her flat in London for a year. This book did keep me engaged because I wanted to know how it ended for each character. As I continued to read the story it continued to become weirder. My brain had a really hard time comprehending the events in the story. Give it a try, you might like it.

I am currently reading The Book Theif. It has captivated me so far. My goal this year is to read 26 books by my 26th birthday (apparently I am already 2 books behind).

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Have any recommendations for new books I should read?

No comments: