Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Unity Ceremonies

One of the things I am having a hard time deciding on for our wedding is the unity ceremony. 
There are traditional ones like the unity candle ceremony. 


Since our ceremony is outside, this isn't the most practical option. 
The wind could blow the candles out and we don't want to risk burning down the historic site we will be on. 


Or we could go with the sand ceremony.

But we aren't really fond of this idea. Mainly because we are afraid it might get messed up with transportation between the wedding ceremony and our future home.

I am really considering doing a tree ceremony. 


The parents of the bride and groom can add soil to a tree in a pot. 
Then the bride and groom can either water it or add soil themselves. 
The bride and groom can then plant the tree in the yard of their first home. 

The last option is a Love letter ceremony. 


The couple writes love letters to each other before the ceremony and then place them in a locked box to be opened on a specific date. Most likely on their first wedding anniversary. I like this idea too. 


Which one would you/did you use?

9 comments:

Christina said...

We went with the traditional unity candle, but we were in a church, so that was a little easier. There is always the braided cord ceremony which is neat.

Heather said...

My friends took love letters they wrote to each other and a bottle of wine and placed it in a box. Since one year is still close to their day, they are planning on opening it in a few years or if they ever hit a moment in life where things arent going right.

ae said...

I have never heard of the letter ceremony, but I think that is my favorite idea. It is just so sweet!

Mikelle Jade {The Honeypie Archives} said...

oooh I really like the idea of the tree, but I am far from a green thumb as could be, and stress about plants all the time!

emma wallace said...

The letter ceremony sounds beautiful! I also like the tree idea - a very good way to start off a marriage!

Kristin said...

We skipped the unity party of the ceremony. We're so bad. HA!

lil desiqua said...

I've seen the candle and sand ideas, but never heard of the other ones. I think if/when I get married, I'd like to do the tree one- I like the idea of planting soemthing that grows with us! Plus the parents can participate.

Good luck choosing!

:: Lavender's Green :: said...

I love the idea of a tree or a love letter - or both!!

x Jasmine

Future Mrs. Mom said...

My husband and I did the unity painting. It is nice because we can hang it wherever we want to keep where as I don't think I would keep the candles from a unity candle ceremony.