Saturday, June 4, 2011

Book Review: Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


Summary: Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its own way of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell. (via Goodreads)


Review: I had heard wonderful things about this book, but was still a little skeptical about it. As soon as I got past the first few pages, I was hooked. This book pulled me in. I love the way Jacob narrated the story. I thought the way the book went from the present day to past was written very well. It was not distracting from the story. I enjoyed following Jacob's character and the relationship he developed with Marlena and Rosie. I thought this book also showed an interesting look into the circus world in the depression. I could not put this book down, I was desperate to find out what happened on the next page. This is one of best books I've read lately. There was a little more foul language than I care for, but the story was still amazing. I highly recommend it. I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.


Have you read this book or seen the movie? What did you think?

6 comments:

stoppingfordaisies said...

I've read the book and seen the movie. I was like you, I was skeptical about the book but I was eventually pulled in to it. The movie was great.

Megan said...

I was the same as you, thinking I wouldnt love this book but I was hooked from the beginning. I havent seen the movie yet, I might try and go next weekend.

Sharon Cheng said...

I thought this book was wonderful!! I loved learning about the circus, and I really enjoyed reading about the elephant. I also really liked that it was such a fast read. I can't wait to see the movie; if you see the movie, let me know what to think!

What are you reading now?

Sarah Nicole said...

Sharon - I just started reading "Heart of the Matter" by Emily Giffin

I can't wait to see the movie. :]

Gracie said...

Hmm... that does sounds wonderful. Maybe I will give this book a go. As I too wasn't sure what to think of it. x

Jennifer Lynn said...

The book was incredible!!! and the movie was actually not bad either. I saw it more than a year after I read the book, but I could still say, "oh yeah, I remember that!"