Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book Review: ROOM

ROOM by Emma Donoghue


Summary: To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another. (via Goodreads)



Review: This book was intense. It took me quite some time to get used to the language of the book since it is told entirely from Jack's point of view.  He has his own grammar style and he enjoys making up words as well. At some points it was a little annoying but I know it was vital to the story. This book was intense to think about a 5 year old spending his whole life in one room, only knowing what has been provided for him and never having stepped outside.  It was interesting to see the world from Jack's point of view. This book pulled me in from the beginning, even the cover art is what had drawn me to the book in the first place. I think I finished this book in a matter of three or four days. This was a very good read, although I was a little disappointed with the ending but overall still worth the read. I highly recommend this book. Because I was disappointed in the ending and had a hard time getting used to the writing style I gave this book 4 out  of 5 stars. 

5 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I was excited to come across your blog and this review, because I've just recently heard about this book! It sounds really interesting (and disturbing). Now that it's summertime I have so much more time to read, which I'm loving!

Excited to follow your blog and read more book reviews!

Alli said...

This is on my "to read" list! I feel like it could be useful as a future teacher. Thanks for the review!

Gracie said...

This sounds like a really interesting book. I would like to read it. Sometimes it takes time to get into books because of the way it's written and even if a book ending is disappointing it's always nice to see how it ends. x

stoppingfordaisies said...

I've read this book. I hear ya, it took a while to get used to the grammar and all, and I was disappointed in the end. Interesting concept tho. Well, disturbing really.

Amanda Arendsee said...

I just recently read this book! I agree that it was hard to get use to the language but got used to it. Once the end of the book was near I could not put the book down. I needed to know how Jack and his mom turned out.