Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book Review: Heart of the Matter

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin


Summary: Tessa Russo is the mother of two young children and the wife of a renowned pediatric surgeon.  Despite her own mother's warnings, Tessa has recently given up her career to focus on her family and the pursuit of domestic happiness. From the outside, she seems destined to live a charmed life. 

Valerie Anderson is an attorney and single mother to six-year-old Charlie--a boy who has never known his father.  After too many disappointments, she has given up on romance--and even to some degree, friendships--believing that it is always safer not to expect too much. 

Although both women live in the same Boston suburb, the two have relatively little in common aside from a fierce love for their children.  But one night, a tragic accident causes their lives to converge in ways no one could have imagined.  (via Goodreads)





Review: I have enjoyed all of Emily Giffin's novels. This wasn't my favorite, but at the same time it had me turning page after page because I just had to know the ending. I enjoyed reading it. The story was intriguing and it definitely pulled me in. The writing was wonderful (as expected). I wasn't happy about the decisions made by Nick, Tessa's husband. I found it interesting to see the reactions and emotions of Tessa as well as Valerie and the way they ended up being connected. I think this book presented a good point, that you can't be sure of what you would do in a situation until you are in that situation yourself. Although I wasn't too fond of the plot, I gave this book 4 out 5 stars.

Have you read it? What did you think?

1 comment:

Claire Kiefer said...

I was scared to read the whole review in case it revealed anything--haha! I just finished Something Borrowed and am about to start Something Blue, and I have another of her books as well. They're great after reading something heavy, when you just need something light & quick, you know?