Thursday, May 26, 2011

Road to Recovery


In March, I fell and dislocated my knee. This was probably the most pain I've felt in my entire life. 
After I fell, I pretty much spend the next four days in my bed or on the couch. 
I hate feeling helpless. I hated having to ask for help with everything, including taking a bath. 
It took all my energy to walk down the stairs to get in the car and go to the doctor. 

When I started physical therapy, I was so nervous.
I didn't know what to think or what to expect. 
The therapists I have been working are the sweetest most encouraging people I could have been paired with. 
That first day of therapy was difficult. The simplest tasks were so difficult. 
All I was asked to do was to tighten my muscles and lift my leg off the table I was sitting on. 
The pain was intense plus the realization that I couldn't complete this simple task got me pretty upset. 
I remember thinking "This is such a simple task, why can't I do it?"
It took awhile for me to adjust to walking much slower, taking the steps one at a time, not being able to drive. 
But I have made a lot of progress. It took work but now I can drive, I can walk pretty close to what my normal pace was, and I am no longer taking the steps one at a time (still slowly though).  My knee still gets irritated if I stand to long or spend too much time walking but it's getting better. 

After going to therapy twice a week for the past five weeks, I am happy to say that today should be my last physical therapy session. I just might have to find a small way to celebrate. 


p.s. Thanks for all your responses to yesterdays post. 

10 comments:

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

beautiful image. good luck and stay strong through physical therapy, you can do it! :)

Diana said...

that is tough and i know how that is. even shifting half an inch in bed was a long day task for me after my surgery. here's to celebrating a speedy recovery!

Sarah said...

Oh I'm so happy for you! Glad everything is well now. :) I had a surgery for a cyst in my ovary two years back, and I remember post-op that walking like a normal person was difficult. I had to always hold my stomach and walk somewhat like a pregnant woman. It hurt at first but after a while I sorta get used to walking normally again. It was quite a transition, that one. Though I'm thinking your situation is much more challenging than mine.

Apart from my babbling, I'm just really happy for you! :) You MUST celebrate, of course you need to. You deserve a celebration, sweetie! Have a lovely day! x

Kristin said...

Yay for the end of therapy. My mama broke her leg a few months go and she's still in PT. It's brutal!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

First off this is such an awesome image, next your injury sounds painful. I so believe in therapy it is really the way to go.

Gracie said...

This is tough but I'm so glad that you are making progress and you are striving to get there. You should get something for yourself to celebrate. We need these little rewards sometimes :)

Megan said...

Oh I am glad you are getting better, and nearly fully recovered. I have been so lucky and never dislocated or broken anything so I cant imagine what you have been through.
Just had a look at your post from yesterday and I love dress 2 & 3 but I think 2 is my fav.

stoppingfordaisies said...

Congrats on all the progress and for having your last PT session... that's great!

Pia said...

I am so glad to hear that you are getting better! I know how frustrating physical therapy can be, but sounds like it's really helping you. (In my case, unortunately, it did not help at all.)

I hope you found a way to celebrate your last session! :)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oh wow, what an awful experience. I have such a low tolerance for pain. I can only imagine what you went through. After all that pain and hard work you definitely have to have a celebration for yourself. =)