Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love Review

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Summary: In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want--husband, country home, successful career--but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence. (via Goodreads)


Review: I enjoyed this book for the most part. It took me a while to finish it. I really enjoyed the beginning during Elizabeth's journey through Italy. I had a difficult time relating to her journey while she was in India and it took me a while to get through this section. It was very interesting to see her journey to happiness and peace. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, because it didn't quite hold my interest as much as I was hoping, but it was an entertaining read. I did collect some wonderful quotes from this book. 

1 comment:

stoppingfordaisies.com said...

I think you have to be in the right mindset to love this book. I read this after I got out of my most serious relationship and was feeling so alone, and her journey inspired me. Although yeah I wasn't as interested by the India portion. Ah well.

Thanks for the review!