Monday, November 8, 2010

The Largest Home in America

I took a field trip with my 4th graders last week. 
We visited the largest privately owned home in the United States. 
We went to the Biltmore Estate.
It was fun and gorgeous. 
There are four floors and two basements.
There is a bowling alley and a swimming pool in the basement. 
Crazy right?



The house was built by George Vanderbilt.
This home had the largest library I have ever seen. It was amazing, I could have stayed in there forever.
I enjoyed learning about the history of the home.
I can't wait to go back and spend all day there. 


If you get the opportunity to go, you should take it. 
Hopefully you won't have to ride a school bus for two hours there and back. 
Unfortunately I didn't have time to take a lot of pictures.
But I can cross this off of my list! yay!

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

waaaaaaaaaaait do people actually live there!?

Mrs. K said...

Growing up, my favorite rooms were the library and the purple bedroom (I think it was his wife's room?). I also used to pretend that my family owned part of it because my maiden name is Moore. Hehe! Thanks for helping me remember Biltmore!

Sarah Ann said...

The Biltmore and Asheville in general are both beautiful! Glad you enjoyed the trip :)

rachel! said...

deng! what city/state is this? was the library like the beast's? in beauty and the beast. what a magical "home", craazy!

Gracie said...

Oh my gosh this is utterly beautiful! I love architecture like this. And the library sounds wonderful.

Sara said...

My mom and I went there in August.

That's right. August in North Carolina.

By the end of it, I had a migraine and she was nauseated because of the heat.

It was pretty, though!