Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Book 20 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


I finished reading book 20, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Marry Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I absolutely loved this book.

In January 1946 a popular writer, Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger. This stranger a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Curious as to what this society is, Juliet writes back. Juliet continues to write to residents of Guernsey to learn more about the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society as well as what happened on the island during the German occupation. 
 
This book was amazing. At first I was skeptical because it was written in an epistolary style and I have not read many books in that style. I loved it.  I felt like I was there reading these letters, that someone was writing them to me. I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a true story. It felt so real. I felt like I was experiencing everything they were experiencing. Please go out and read this book.

3 comments:

Molly said...

thanks for sharing this! I need a new book, and have been roaming around the libary and haven't found anything good!

Sara said...

I finally have the chance to read for fun and guess what I'm reading.

A book about existential pyschotherapy.

This program is killing me.

InspiredDreamer said...

My aunt gushed about how much she loved this book. Sounds like I'm gonna have to go pick it up soon. :)

Have an Extraordinary Day!