Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I've Got a Feeling, Do You?

Today was a pretty good day.
It rained but I didn't mind because I got to wear my cute rain boots!
And I only had one class.

I got the feeling today that sometimes all some people need is someone to listen to them.
I was walking to my car from class and this guy whom I've never seen before in my life started to talk to me.
Weird? Maybe a little.
He looked at me and said, "I think today is just a bad day."
Me: "Why do you say that?"
Strange boy: "I drive 45 minutes to class, I left my coffee on the car this morning, got a speeding ticket, it's raining...etc."
Me: "It's not too bad..."
Strange boy (not verbatim): "Well it's my second week of classes here...I'm 30, made some mistakes, couldn't live with myself, I'm starting over."
Me: "That's good that you're trying, I hope your day gets better from here on out."
Strange boy: "Thanks, hope you have a good day too."
Then we walk in completely different directions.

I'll probably never see him again. The walk from the bottom of the tunnel to the parking lot took maybe 5 minutes. Why he shared all this information with me I may never know.
It just got me thinking that some days maybe the person talking your ear off just really needs to talk. Maybe they are the person who is always listening.
Next time you come across a stranger who is just talking away, I challenge you to listen.

5 comments:

KatherineAnne said...

I love your post today! I agree :) Everytime I am walking to my car I end up walking with someone different and sometimes they talk and I listen. It is really interesting to hear their stories and I like to think that by listening I am helping them out in some small way!

I hope you have a great night!
xo,KA

Sara said...

It's so true, isn't it? I'm not a person who shares freely, but there are days when you're right on the edge and all it takes is one person to look at you and say, "Are you okay?" I will unload on them in a way that I would never dream of doing any other day or in any other situation.

I'm glad you were there for him, even if just for a minute.

P.S. He sounds like damaged goods. Next time, get a number for me!

Ashley @ Germato.com said...

That's a good challenge!

amindinmotown said...

You're probably so very right, and it's something most of us don't even think about it. Instead, we just keep asking ourselves why this person felt the need to talk, having this attitude about it. Or maybe it's a "I'm from the north" thing. Who knows. But some people just need a stranger to listen at times. That's why therapists make so much money.

Children of the 90s said...

I'm new to your blog, and I love this post. It was strange from me moving to Texas--where I went to school, people kept more to their own groups, but here people will start talking to you anywhere. It sort of threw me off at first, but I like it now. I definitely agree that we all sometimes need someone to listen, whether it's a friend or a stranger.